Welcome to the FPE (Foundation for Professional Ergonomics). This site was created as a resource for obtaining information about FPE and its activities. We hope you find it informative. FPE is dedicated to ergonomics professionalism.
WHO WE ARE
FPE was established in 2004 as a non-profit organization dedicated to advancing professionalism in ergonomics. Former Directors from the Board of Certification in Professional Ergonomics (BCPE) collaborated and initiated the FPE to promote ergonomics professionalism through educational activities and awards in ways inaccessible to BCPE as an accredited certification body. Our goals work in a symbiotic relationship to those of BCPE. And, we are establishing close ties with the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society (HFES), as well. FPE attained an IRS 501(c)(3) status enabling tax-deductible donations from those sharing this dedication to professionalism in ergonomics.
Since 2010, FPE has awarded the Dieter W. Jahns Student Practitioner Award to:
- 2012 – Mohd Nasrull Abdol Rahman, a PhD student at the Universiti Teknologi Malaysia in Johor Bahru, Malaysia for his work on an assessment tool for assessing the exposure to physical risk factors associated with work-related musculoskeletal disorders.
- 2011 – Radin Umar, a PhD student in Integrated Systems Engineering at the Ohio State University for his project “Ergonomic Interventional Design of an Articulated Arm for Echocardiography Application.
- 2011 – Certificates of appreciation were also presented to two runners-up.
- Ms. Mary H. Schaeffer from Northeastern University for her project on Goal Directed Task Analysis.
- Ms. Esme Shanley from Loughborough University in the United Kingdom for her project on the Design of Animal Care Centers.
- 2010 – Mr Augusto Espinosa, a Masters student at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University for his concept design project for a men's public urinal with a built-in hand sanitation system.
FPE supports Ergonomists without Borders. Ergonomists without Borders continues a web-based presence and talks with representatives from Engineers without Borders have demonstrated some areas of mutual interest.